A few days ago, I stood on my patio and witnessed a stray, black cat vomit a live worm into the mulch under my neighbor’s hydrangea.
I told my husband about it immediately. How could I not? I had never seen a living creature vomit up another living creature before. It was remarkable and, I’m sure, burned into my long-term memory. I felt like I had witnessed a phenomenon only seen in sci-fi movies.
While I Googled “worm vomit,” “how contagious is worm vomit,” and “worm vomit death rate” (digging for answers before the nightmares set in), my husband did the right thing and made an appointment for the stray at our vet’s office. This is why he is named. Poe.
We learned a lot about Poe from his trip to the vet. It’s a boy. 6 or 7 years old. Right eye damaged from birth or trauma. Leukemia negative. FIV positive. And chipped!!
I believe the vet contacted the number associated with the chip (I think that’s what my husband told me), and so now we wait.
But then again, Poe has called our patio home off-and-on for well over a year. Our neighbor has posted about it on our neighborhood website and, I believe, Facebook. I am beginning to doubt Poe will ever be returned to his family.
I do not claim this cat as our own (dear God no more!!), but I care just enough to hope that this affectionate cat gets back to where he belongs. He’s such a sweet cat. Loves laps. Enjoys belly rubs. Purrs all the time. Chatters frequently. Vomits worms.